Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Indian rhino sign

See here for more on my visit: http://www.zoochat.com/320/visit-28-march-2014-includes-species-359319/

Indian rhino sign
Chlidonias, 18 Apr 2014
iluvwhales likes this.
    • vogelcommando
      Any plans to bring this animal into a breeding situation althrough it must already be around ( at least ) 30 years old ?
    • Chlidonias
      there were two rhinos originally -- a male and a female -- who both came from Nepal on April 22nd 1986. The male was only eight months old at the time and died just three months after arrival. The female was eight years old and I guess is the one still at the zoo. On 12th December 1994 a male arrived at Chiang Mai from Singapore Zoo but I don't know what happened to that one. (Or it might be the opposite: the one at the zoo currently might be the Singapore male and the Nepal female has died -- I don't know, although the above sign would make one assume this is still the Nepal female on display).
    • IanRRobinson
    • Kifaru Bwana
      The wild born male died 24 July 1986 - so close on arrival as Chlidonias had observed -. Singapore sent male Nadir (b. 1981 Stuttgart) to Chang Mai in 1994. This animal died 2 January 2002.

Technically speaking - the female was wild born in ca. 1978 - by the time they imported a replacement male for her she was already more or less entering her pre menopausal phase … sadly.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chiang Mai Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    18 Apr 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: