Indian Rhino

Indian Rhinos out in the main area

Indian Rhino
CambsVet, 31 Mar 2013
Animallover1998 likes this.
    • CambsVet
      Indian Rhinos out in the main area
    • Pertinax
      Is this a first?:) Never seen Indian Rhino in proximity with cars like this- anywhere else in Europe or US do this?
    • CambsVet
      Im not sure how often this happens as being away at uni I do not go anywhere near as often as I use to, and they were only in the main paddock the last time I went. Having said that both seemed really at ease, even when the train went past.
    • Pertinax
      I've seen these animals in the wild, and they are among the most truculent, nervous/aggressive(at the same time!) animals I've come across and they will charge(and overturn) vehicles on sight if they are too close..

I know they are far more placid in captivity though. One male at Whipsnade in the 1950's(Mohan) would give 'rides' on his back to visiting celebrities and I know of others which would allow their keepers to do that also.
    • Tim May
      For example the dust jacket of the book “Ride a Rhino” (Michaela Denis, 1959) features a photo of Michaela Denis riding an Indian rhinoceros at Whipsnade.

(“On Safari with Armand and Michaela Denis” was one of my favourite television programmes when I was a child.)
    • Pertinax
    • Brum
      I visited a few weeks ago and both rhino were confined to their paddock. I'm torn as I'd love to be that close to an Indian rhino but I think I'd be terrified at the same time! :p
    • CambsVet
      I did a work experience placement at WMSP about 3 years ago, and on one of the days was working with the Indian rhino... They were very mild mannered and I stroked/patted them and handfeed them and they were total softies. Granted both will have grown a lot since then! :p

They actually reminded me of working with Bulls - massive and could kill you in a heart beat but just generally wanting some fuss and attention! :)
    • gentle lemur
    • Pertinax
      i know they can be very placid in zoo situations so I wouldn't be frightened of them, but that said I would definately not want to be sitting in a car nearby if they were involved in courtship chasing- that is one impressive spectacle but preferably seen from a safe distance!.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    West Midland Safari and Leisure Park
    Uploaded By:
    CambsVet
    Date:
    31 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    175.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix F47fd
    Date / Time:
    2011:09:23 10:53:25
    Exposure Time:
    10/3500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    12.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).