Indian Rhinoceros at Whipsnade Zoo 2008

Indian Rhinoceros at Whipsnade Zoo 2008
Maguari, 9 Jun 2008
    • MARK
      Which rhino is this?
    • okapikpr
      He/she sure is proud of themself!
    • Pertinax
      By the shape of the horn it is 'Jaffna' who is the father of the two calves. This would have been shortly before he was returned to Basel.

The new younger bull 'Hugo' has a more small 'pyramid' horn. I don't think he was ever in the old enclosure either- as in this photo.
    • James27
      Hugo was in there for, I believe, his quarantine. He was huge and pretty friendly.
    • Pertinax
      My mistake. I still think this is 'jaffna' from his back-curved horn shape, though.
    • James27
      That I agree with, this doesn't look like Hugo, he has a bigger horn and I think he is probably taller.
    • Pertinax
      Now I have a photo i took of jaffna in front of me- hornshape is identical in both photos which clinches it for me.:)

Do you know what lives in this enclosure since the old female Roopa died, or is it just kept spare in case its needed?
    • James27
      I think it might have had one of the mothers and babies in the yard but they didn't seem to have access to the main paddock. I find it odd how the 3 new rooms in the house aren't really used, due to the paddock only being spilt into 2. I think they might have been better off splitting it into 3 and allowing all 5 rhinos access to the main paddock and the new house. But that's just me ;)
    • Pertinax
      How come the two mothers and their calves can't live together in the daytime when they are outside? Maybe they haven't been able to put them back together since they had babies but they were always good companions previously. Basel have always kept their mothers and calves together in their outdoor area.

Otherwise I agree they should turn the two paddocks into three.
    • James27
      No, there always seems to be one mother/calf pair in the little yards.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    9 Jun 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    410.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2008:02:16 12:55:10
    Exposure Time:
    10/5500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    24 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).