Join our zoo community
cloudedleopard611

Insectarium: Hawaiian red shrimp (Halocaridina rubra) exhibit

Sorry I haven't gotten around to posting this. The zoo has been too busy on my last two visits to take a photo without getting visitor reflections on the glass. I just used my phone for this, as my lens I use for low light conditions like this would not be able to show the whole thing.

Insectarium: Hawaiian red shrimp (Halocaridina rubra) exhibit
cloudedleopard611, 6 Feb 2023
JigerofLemuria, KevinB and splendens like this.
    • birdsandbats
      Notice how there is literally no way for the keepers to access the inside without breaking the glass. Interesting. In a few millennia you'll have a new shrimp species.
    • cloudedleopard611
      @birdsandbats Yeah, its a strange design for sure. Its pretty but seems impractical.
    • splendens
      @cloudedleopard611 More practical than you think, when established correctly Halocaridina rubra live and breed great in these set ups. One person has kept individuals in much smaller closed tanks for 20 years. Tank seems to have everything they need, macro algae, aragonite or a similar sand for calcium and surfaces for beneficial bacteria. The shrimp will feed on any biolfilm and algae growing on the sides.

These are an extremely easy pet and would absolutely recommend them especially from captive bred sources.
    • cloudedleopard611
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Saint Louis Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cloudedleopard611
    Date:
    6 Feb 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3024px
    Height:
    4032px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).