Join our zoo community
DesertRhino150

Inside the new Koi Niwa

First aquarium (it is huge!) Due to house koi carp and Japanese bitterling, although currently only home to goldfish. It looks alright, although I can't help but be disappointed that we lost the only pygmy gliders on public view for it.

Inside the new Koi Niwa
DesertRhino150, 3 Apr 2013
    • DesertRhino150
      First aquarium (it is huge!)

Due to house koi carp and Japanese bitterling, although currently only home to goldfish.

It looks alright, although I can\'t help but be disappointed that we lost the only pygmy gliders on public view for it.
    • pipaluk
      Agreed, it was sad to lose them, especially for this! It doesn't look like it has been done cheaply and it seems odd to spend so much on an exhibit for something people can see at their local garden centre or pet shop for nothing!
    • 4ways NAP
      Where are the Pygmy Gliders being kept now ?
    • zoogiraffe
      They left the collection over 12 months ago!
    • dean
      I'm sorry to say this but that looks like a footballers wives (wags) fish pedicure spa
    • zooman64
      I believe I'm right in saying the Koi came from the estate of the late Raymond Sawyer, and were quite an unexpected and sudden new arrival at the zoo, necessitating a new exhibit in short order. Mr Sawyer was on very good terms with the Tropeano family, which owns Colchester Zoo, and he wanted his Koi to go to the zoo. (The zoo's giant tortoises also belonged to Mr Sawyer and were deposited at the zoo following his death.) I quite agree though: it is a pity the Pygmy Gliders have gone. Now they really were something special, whereas Koi can be seen in almost every ornamental park or garden, and in many pet shops.
    • sasha242
      i preferred it when it was a stinky barn that housed the farm animals...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Colchester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    DesertRhino150
    Date:
    3 Apr 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    163.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.7
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    FE290,X825
    Date / Time:
    2012:11:12 22:01:45
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).