Join our zoo community
FunkyGibbon

Inside the Rhino House

Inside the Rhino House
FunkyGibbon, 12 Apr 2017
    • JigerofLemuria
      Hmmm... Not good, but not bad either. I find it quite sterile and artificial, even though aqua blue is my favorite color.
    • kiang
      @JigerofLemuria it is circa 67 years old, the rhino bred here, so it has done it's job, no matter how it looks to us.
    • JigerofLemuria
      @kiang I wasn't doubting it didn't do its job, and I didn't say it was bad, rather I find it middle-of-the road. Actually, the more I think about it, it reminds me of the Okapi and giraffe indoor enclosures at London Zoo.
      Okapi | ZooChat
      Giraffe House | ZooChat
      And the rhino shelters at Whipsnade weren't that much more natural.
      Great indian rhinoceros | ZooChat

So who knows, maybe I should just shut up.
    • kiang
      @JigerofLemuria, don't shut up, if we did that we wouldn't have this site, so don't take it as a criticism, just another point of view.
    • FunkyGibbon
      @JigerofLemuria I think it's a bit strange that you so often write these little criticisms of exhibits on photos, but as soon as someone pushes back you get so defensive.
      The Rhino House also holds common Hippo, and I think most 'Chatters would agree is by some margin the exhibit most needing to be replaced.
    • pachyderm pro
      I agree. You seem to just type a sentence or two about how bad an exhibit is without much research or thought. There's nothing wrong some criticism, but its really just "This is exhibit is pathetic/awful/disgusting etc." Without much if any real reason why (Though admittedly most of the time its self explanatory). I'm not telling you to not voice your opinion, which in fact I and others strongly encourage. Just try to be more rational and less defensive with these posts.

Though I must say that this pachyderm building looks quite bare bones, no?
    • Giant Panda
      @JigerofLemuria gave their reasoning: the building is sterile and artificial (which is unrelated to the inhabitants' breeding record). I'd be a great deal less generous than "middle-of-the-road".
      FunkyGibbon likes this.
    • JigerofLemuria
      Alright, I'm sorry. I just corrected my statement in the reply, and sometimes I feel like what I post is unnecessary, and that might have been why I berated myself. But at the same time, I don't know if it's that necessary to pounce at me simultaneously for having made such comments. Whenever I see a comment I dislike, I'd rather just ignore it, but hey, maybe that's just me.
      kiang likes this.
    • kiang
      The existing rhino in the house has been on it's own for the last few years and will be sent away, so there has been no need to upgrade the house until the house has been vacated, then can they start picking new wallpaper.

@Giant Panda I agree perhaps some greening of the public space, may go some way to break up the sterility of the building, it does have the look of a Victorian sanitarium, but on the animals side of things, (which to me comes before any potted yucca) it has proven itself through the years without the need for mock rock or a mural of Kruger national park.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    12 Apr 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5152px
    Height:
    3864px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon IXUS 155
    Date / Time:
    2016:09:12 13:30:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).