Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Introduced Beetle Signage

Introduced Beetle Signage
ThylacineAlive, 5 Jul 2018
    • ThylacineAlive
      Sign about introducing a non-native beetle to control a non-native plant. May 8, 2018.
    • Yi Qi
      This sort of stuff always works well and has no negative effects. Just ask Rhinella marina.
      Maguari likes this.
    • Maguari
      @Yi Qi Or Euglandina rosea..!
    • ThylacineAlive
      My thoughts exactly....

~Thylo
    • Great Argus
      Like we didn't have enough invasive species here in North America already... :p
    • ThylacineAlive
      It actually surprised me that the zoo is allowed to do this.

~Thylo
    • Hipporex
      Well this zoo is run by an American high school, and as an America high schooler I can attest to the fact that they often make illogical decisions.
      Yi Qi likes this.
    • Great Argus
      @ThylacineAlive Are they? I thought there were laws restricting trade of potential invasives, especially insects. Having worked at a butterfly house before, I know FDA is very strict on that sort of thing... If they found any sort of hole in the building to the outside they would shut it down instantly according to regulations is my understanding. Any eggs/caterpillars we found had to be killed...
    • Chlidonias
      This isn't some dodgy initiative of the zoo. The beetle is host-specific to Purple Loosestrife, it was tested on a large number of native American plant species before release, and they have been released throughout North America since 1992.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Chlidonias This makes more sense then, thanks for the additional information. If only the zoo made a note of that on the signage.

~Thylo
      Great Argus likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Trevor Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    5 Jul 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2017:05:08 10:56:57
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    75 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).