Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Irrawaddy Dolphins (Orcaella brevirostris)

on the Irrawaddy River, outside Mandalay, 2014. These are tricky things to photograph because they don't jump, they just pop up for a couple of seconds to breathe and disappear, and there is no way to know where they are going to surface next. These are pretty much the best photos I got. Fantastic creatures!

Irrawaddy Dolphins (Orcaella brevirostris)
Chlidonias, 30 Oct 2014
amur leopard likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      on the Irrawaddy River, outside Mandalay, 2014.

These are tricky things to photograph because they don\'t jump, they just pop up for a couple of seconds to breathe and disappear, and there is no way to know where they are going to surface next. These are pretty much the best photos I got. Fantastic creatures!
    • TeaLovingDave
      You are, of course, a complete and utter lucky bastard :D
    • Chlidonias
      I am indeed. Funny thing though, NZ is pretty much the cetacean capital of the world and Irrawaddy Dolphin was only my eighth species I have seen in the wild. Erm, number nine was Ganges Dolphin..... even worse photos were obtained of those!
    • TeaLovingDave
      My wild total is only slightly less :) so that is some consolation.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Along with various dolphin sightings I haven't been able to pin down to a species, I have seen:

Common Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) - Northern coastline of the Isle of Skye, near Staffin - 2010

Harbour Porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) - Numerous locations on Scottish and Northumberland coastline over the years.

Risso's Dolphin (Grampus griseus) - Numerous locations on NW Scottish coastline over the years.

Shortbeaked Common Dolphin (Delphinus delphis) - two definite sightings: on ferry between Mallaig and Armadale (Skye) in 2010, in Firth of Clyde near northern coast of Isle of Arran in 2011.

Minke Whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) - Numerous occasions in the waters around the Isle of Skye.

Sperm Whale (Physeter macrocephalus) - one sighting of a living beached whale, which died shortly after I arrived, at Beadnell in 2010. One brief sighting off the southwest coast of Skye in 2001.

And the sighting with which I am most pleased.... Cuvier's Beaked Whale (Ziphius cavirostris) - one sighting when on a boat off the coast of Skye, sailing from Elgol to Loch Coruisk, in 1999.
    • baboon
      Curvier's beaked whale and Ganges river dolphin...... You two who will envy who?
    • Jackwow
      Looks like Scotland is the cetacean capital of the world! :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Myanmar - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    30 Oct 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: