Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Jaguar Exhibit

May 2009.

Jaguar Exhibit
snowleopard, 5 May 2009
    • BlackRhino
      I have yet to see a photo of Jacksonville's Range of the Jaguar looking this natural.
    • snowleopard
      I'm beginning to think that Woodland Park might have the best jaguar exhibit after all. Jacksonville's 8 jaguars and two enclosures beats any zoo in North America for quantity and size...but Woodland Park has the all-round single best habitat in terms of enrichment, plantings and terrain. Plus in Seattle there is no damn Mayan temple!:)
    • FSBlue
      My one question is, how does this area look during the winter? Jacksonville's exhibit stays fairly well planted and nice looking due to the climate, but I imagine in Seattle it must take a beating. It is an amazing exhibit either way. The one thing against ROJ is that, except for the Emerald Forest area, it did get short changed in terms of planting and vegetation.
    • BlackRhino
      Well Seattle has pretty mild winters compared to places like Chicago, Cleveland, and New York, so it does not take as much of a beating. That should not hinder it for being the best jaguar exhibit. Congo Gorilla Forest is in NYC and it is the best gorilla habitat.
    • snowleopard
      Seattle does receive about 40 inches of rain a year, and so even in the winter the plant life appears much more lush and green than many other zoos around North America.
    • felis silvestris
      How would this enclosure compare to Chester's Spirit of the Jaguar?
    • snowleopard
      @felis silvestris I have not visited Chester Zoo and so it's difficult to compare, but in truth that English zoo would get the edge because there are two exhibits there instead of the one in Seattle. Plus, the overall space for jaguars at Chester is much larger.
    • felis silvestris
      @snowleopard the second exhibit at Chester isn’t always used by jaguars. It’s held Andean bears and Sun bears temporarily and also giant anteater and bush dogs.
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    5 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: