Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Jaguarundi Cage

October 2008. A small prison measuring about 8 feet by 8 feet. Where's the bulldozer?

Jaguarundi Cage
snowleopard, 7 Oct 2008
    • snowleopard
      October 2008. A small prison measuring about 8 feet by 8 feet. Where's the bulldozer?
    • snowleopard
      When I visited this zoo in the fall of 2008 I saw these rarely exhibited mammal species: South American river otter, giant otter, crab-eating raccoon, tayra, jaguarundi, kinkajou, red brocket deer, mouse (murine) opossum and red howler monkey. Unfortunately none of them were in decent exhibits as the zoo lacks a solid financial base and is extremely poor in comparison to many American zoos that receive millions annually just in tax benefits. Also, many people that I met during my 10 weeks teaching high school in Trinidad & Tobago thought that certain mammals were better off being cooked and eaten for dinner than kept in a local zoo.
    • epickoala123
      Oh My God:eek::eek:
      so tragic to see my second favorite animal(after koalas) in what is literally nothing more than some wire, cement wall, barren floor, and one stick.
      utterly depressing:mad:
      I would happily fund the bull dozer
      :eek::mad::mad:
    • Catnmouse
      This was one of the most tragic sights at the EVZ when I visited last week. Many animals are very poorly housed but the jaguarundi, which I was really interested in seeing, was downright pathetic. The poor creature alternated between pacing maniacally and lying apathetically in a corner. Such a beautiful animal. I certainly hope it benefits soon from the overdue zoo renovations that are underway.
    • IanRRobinson
      Trinidad, like its neighbour Guyana, is an ex British colony, and a member of the Commonwealth. Why can't a UK zoo get involved in either country's zoos? There is so much good conservation work that could be achieved.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Emperor Valley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    7 Oct 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    484.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L1
    Date / Time:
    2008:10:04 20:49:35
    Exposure Time:
    10/1016 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    6.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).