Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

jaguarundi

July 4, 2012

jaguarundi
Arizona Docent, 22 Jul 2012
    • jbnbsn99
      How did we miss this? There is a Jaguarundi in the US? Awesome!
    • TeaLovingDave
      Excellent! Proof that the ISIS records I copied back in January aren't foolproof - either this has arrived since then, or the records hadn't been updated prior to being taken offline.

I'd love it if these became more common in UK collections - at the moment the only place to see them over here is Hamerton or Cotswold Wildlife Park. Got photos of the cats at the former collection when I visited in March:

http://www.zoochat.com/499/jaguarundi-puma-yagouaroundi-hamerton-zoo-park-264665/

http://www.zoochat.com/499/jaguarundi-puma-yagouaroundi-hamerton-zoo-park-264664/
    • DavidBrown
      This place isn't AZA affiliated to my knowledge, so they may not be part of ISIS (or whatever the new incarnation is called).
    • Arizona Docent
      To the best of my knowledge there are four in the United States currently. (However there may be a fifth at a private facility in the southeast US - I saw it somewhere online awhile ago but not sure if it would still be alive now).

Two are here at Cat Haven and the other two are their offspring about two hours south at Exotic Feline Breeding Compound.

The AZA Felid TAG has jaguarundi listed as a phase-in species and one of my zoo's keepers recently went to their meeting and said it was discussed (nothing definite was decided as far as I could gather). Since my local Arizona Sonora Desert Museum had them for a long time in their Small Cat Canyon, I am hopeful that they will return to Tucson in the near future.
    • DavidBrown
      Do you remember when the last time was that ASDM had them? I remember seeing them in 1988, but I don't think they had them when I was last there in 2004.

Are there wild jaguarundis in Arizona (or anywhere in the U.S.)? I saw two in the wild in Guatemala while studying parrots there.
    • Arizona Docent
      Some people swear they are in Arizona, but it has never been confirmed by any hard evidence. I met a couple years ago who volunteered at the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge (same area where some jaguar sightings have been) and they are sure they saw one. But without a photo or scat or hair or other evidence, the official line is no. But remember, it was just two years ago that the first photo of a live ocelot in Arizona was taken, so who knows? Then again, jaguarundis are more active in the daytime than other cats so you would think someone would have photographed one sometime if they were here.

As for the Arizona Sonora Desert Musuem, I looked at my last slides of jaguarundi (which the photo lab date stamped). The last time I photographed one there was November 2002. The year before I was at Cincinnati Zoo (September 2001) and I am pretty sure they still had one in the Cat House.

late addition: there are wild jaguarundis in south Texas, but only a couple have been confirmed.
    • TeaLovingDave
      They are believed to be extinct in Texas now, sadly - but as you note, there are still debated sightings sometimes, in Texas and in Arizona.

There *is* one population in the USA which is known to exist for certain - an introduced population in Florida, which may be thriving as in recent years sightings have started to come in from Alabama, which presumably is due to a spread from Florida rather than an unrecorded explosive expansion by the native cats in Texas.
    • Chlidonias
      there are supposedly jaguarundi in Florida, introduced there decades ago. I have always been of the opinion that this was an established fact but I just did some googling before posting (luckily for me, or I would have looked silly!) and it seems there actually isn't any hard evidence that there are jaguarundi in Florida after all.

To quote Arizona Docent above, "the official line is no", but lots of other people swear they are there.
    • Chlidonias
      cross-posting with TeaLovingDave :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cat Haven Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    22 Jul 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    65.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    470px
    Height:
    432px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2012:07:04 12:05:25
    Exposure Time:
    1/640 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).