Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

James' and Lesser flamingos

There are 3 James' flamingos; one feeding at front, one immediately behind it and the third in front of the staff entrance door. House next to European pen, Slimbridge, February 2009

James' and Lesser flamingos
gentle lemur, 25 Feb 2009
    • gentle lemur
      There are 3 James\' flamingos; one feeding at front, one immediately behind it and the third in front of the staff entrance door. House next to European pen, Slimbridge, February 2009
    • CiaranDUK
      but none of these are Lesser Flamingos...
    • gentle lemur
      There were a few greaters in the flock, but they were outside. The large majority of these birds are lessers.

Alan
    • zoogiraffe
      Does this mean Slimbridge have moved the James out of the Adean Flamingo group then?
    • gentle lemur
      Yes. The Andeans have been with the Chileans this year.

Alan
    • zoogiraffe
      Thanks for that seems they have had a bit of a move round with the Flamingo`s since they sent alot of the Lesser Flamingo`s to Hillside on breeding loan in 2008.
    • Bele
      The previous Lesser Flamingo House was demolished to make way for the new building featuring small mammals - I cannot remember what they call it .

I believe the Greater flamingos in the flock were reared by the Lessers after egg transfers .
    • zoogiraffe
      You are 100% correct about that they did to give the Lesser`s some experience of rearing a chick by giving them the more common Greater`s eggs just in case something went wrong.I believe they double clutched the Greater`s to do this so that the Greater pairs still reared a chick as well.
    • IanRRobinson
      Unless someone feels up to asking for some more birds (or eggs) from the wild both Andean and James' flamingoes will go from captivity sooner rather than later. Somehow I don't see that happening.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Slimbridge WWT
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    25 Feb 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    96.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D300
    Date / Time:
    2009:02:17 11:41:26
    Exposure Time:
    25/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    30 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).