Join our zoo community
Nod

Japanese Raccoon Dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides viverrinus) at Zoo Atlanta, USA

Japanese Raccoon Dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides viverrinus) at Zoo Atlanta, USA
Nod, 12 Jan 2020
    • Arizona Docent
      Nice - I didn't know there were any of these in the United States.
    • jayjds2
      @Arizona Docent kept here and at the Oklahoma City Zoo, which also has a white individual.
    • drill
    • jayjds2
      @drill not sure - they were an import from a zoo in Europe, though I do not recall which.
    • Chlidonias
      I seriously doubt they are Japanese. I think there is confusion caused by the use of the name Tanuki by the American zoos as an "alternative" to Raccoon Dog.

The Zoo Atlanta ones came "from Italy" according to press articles. Zootierliste has several Italian collections with the standard Raccoon Dogs, which are readily available in Europe as an introduced species - the only Japanese Raccoon Dogs listed are at one German collection currently, and one German and one UK collection formerly.
    • ThylacineAlive
      These are not Japanese Raccoon Dogs, the US population all comes from European imports. I believe that makes these ussuriensis and it's probably impossible to know for sure.

~Thylo
    • Nod
      @ThylacineAlive Just seen this comment thread! Apologies if I have written the wrong name, I was going off of zoo signage and memory! :)
    • Nod
      *Correction of the title*
      Raccoon Dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides) at Zoo Atlanta, USA
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Atlanta
    Uploaded By:
    Nod
    Date:
    12 Jan 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P500
    Date / Time:
    2019:08:02 15:23:30
    Exposure Time:
    10/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    66.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).