Join our zoo community
Swampy

Jersey Zoo January 2019

St. Lucia Amazon

Jersey Zoo January 2019
Swampy, 25 Feb 2021
    • UngulateNerd92
      It is unfortunate that this species is no longer a part of the collection at Jersey Zoo. Where did the remainder of the zoo's birds get sent to? Or did they die out of the collection through attrition? Also, what species currently occupies their former enclosure?
    • Swampy
      I believe the last elderly birds passed away, although I could be mistaken. Unsure what currently occupies this aviary, I haven't been back to Jersey since.

The remarkable recovery of this species, meaning an ex-situ population at Jersey was no longer needed, should be considered a great triumph.
    • UngulateNerd92
      @Swampy ah thank you. It does sound like they made a remarkable recovery. I will say, I disagree with the idea that an ex-situ population was no longer needed. As far as I understand, the IUCN lists this species as Vulnerable which is still a category of being threatened.
    • dillotest0
      @UngulateNerd92 If you are dying to see the species... there are still a few hanging around in Pairi Daiza in Belgium.
    • UngulateNerd92
      @dillotest0 how many do they have now? Aren't there also some in captivity in St. Lucia?
    • dillotest0
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
    Uploaded By:
    Swampy
    Date:
    25 Feb 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/5.7
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L820
    Date / Time:
    2019:01:18 15:59:54
    Exposure Time:
    10/150 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    76.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).