Join our zoo community
KevinB

Juvenile Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus), 2020-09-02

Juvenile Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus), 2020-09-02
KevinB, 19 Sep 2020
    • PossumRoach
      where is this individual from? Might he e from St. Augustine?
    • KevinB
      @PossumRoach According to ZooTierListe the gharials at Pairi Daiza are from the Krokodyli Zoo in Protivin, Czech Republic.
    • Mr Gharial
      Are there plans for the gharials once they're grown up?
    • KevinB
      @Mr Gharial I haven't heard anything about that so far. It will be a while before they will truly need a large exhibit - if they outgrow their current they could still be housed in one of the other exhibits in the reptile house boat.

Knowing Pairi Daiza they will probably one day become part of one of their outlandish projects.
    • Mr Gharial
      @KevinB
      Honestly, with gharials actually using temples as save havens, it would be fitting for them to have a glorious temple build
    • KevinB
      @Mr Gharial Maybe, but they already have so many Asian temples... Perhaps they could adapt some of those to house gharials. Say for example they put a greenhouse roof over the elephant bath thing or something along those lines...
    • Mr Gharial
      @KevinB

Maybe an adapted version of the pool next to the orang-utangs and the temple, underneath the elephants on the map. (Can't upload a picture of what I mean, sadly)

I haven't visited Pairi Daiza myself so I don't know what it's currently being used for
    • KevinB
      @Mr Gharial I think that is the elephant bath area I mentioned also. For some time they took the elephants to that area for a bath watched by public on an adjacent grandstand area. But nowadays the elephants bathe in one of the lakes, near the crested macaque exhibit, and more privately. The elephant bath did not seem used last year, apart from as a water lily pond. I hope it will become some kind of exhibit in the future, regardless of inhabitants.
      Mr Gharial likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pairi Daiza
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    19 Sep 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1172px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    E-M10 Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2020:09:02 15:36:24
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).