Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

kagu (Rhynochetos jubatus)

the national bird of New Caledonia, a flightless forest-dweller that is endangered by feral dogs. Over half the remaining wild population lives at the Riviere Bleue national park. The Noumea Zoo has been breeding kagu since 1978, and is part of a reintroduction programme. August 2010. Review here: http://www.zoochat.com/92/parc-zoologique-et-forestier-169406/

kagu (Rhynochetos jubatus)
    • Chlidonias
      the national bird of New Caledonia, a flightless forest-dweller that is endangered by feral dogs. Over half the remaining wild population lives at the Riviere Bleue national park. The Noumea Zoo has been breeding kagu since 1978, and is part of a reintroduction programme.

August 2010. Review here: http://www.zoochat.com/92/parc-zoologique-et-forestier-169406/
      Mathijs likes this.
    • KCZooFan
      Is the kagu common in zoos in New Caledonia?
    • foz
      I dont know about New Caledonia bu there are a few collections of Kagu in europe, (but i dont know about number or ratios im afraid :eek: )
    • Chlidonias
      there's only one zoo in New Caledonia. Link in post #1 includes information on their kagu breeding programme
    • DavidBrown
      Did you see any kagus in the wild Chlidonias? Do you know if there is an active program to eliminate or control feral dogs in their habitat? If the dogs were controlled would they be doing okay?

From you zoo review it sounds like there is a national awareness and fondness for the species...hopefully this translates to some meaningful conservation of them in the wild?
    • Chlidonias
      there are some photos of wild ones here: New Caledonia - Wildlife Gallery

Dogs are the main threat but feral pigs are also a problem (kagu nest on the ground of course, and the chicks hide by just lying on the ground: search on youtube for kagu chicks, they are really neat) and I imagine feral cats must take a lot of young ones as well. Like everywhere in the Pacific if the ferals could be controlled that would solve most of the issues. Habitat destruction is obviously also a concern as always.

I don't really know the ins and outs of New Caledonian politics but from what I was told over there by people in the conservation field the government provides stuff-all money for it. The island's industry is built on mining and the forest can go to hell basically.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Nouméa Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    25 Aug 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    216.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX *ist DL
    Date / Time:
    2010:08:14 13:54:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/90 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    0 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).