Join our zoo community
Zooish

Kea walk-through aviary

Kea walk-through aviary
Zooish, 13 Oct 2017
PAT likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      That's really nice. It reminds me of Willowbank's one but smaller with heavier construction. The aviary frames look pretty distracting in the photo. Perhaps not in real life though?
    • Zooish
      @Chlidonias it didn't bother me much. I thought it was nicely done. I would like to see more vegetation added though.
    • Chlidonias
    • Chlidonias
      I saw this aviary for the first time the other day, and uploaded a photo almost exactly the same as this (standing at the entry - it's difficult to get a full photo of the interior from other points).

It is a nice aviary, but a lot smaller than I had expected it to be. I think that's because it is nowhere near the size of the ones I'm more familiar with at Willowbank and Orana Park. It is certainly a great deal bigger and better than any of the other ones I've seen though, at places like Queenstown, Staglands and Nga Manu. (EDIT: I forgot the one at Te Wao Nui at Auckland Zoo, and I'm not sure if I'd put that ahead of or behind Wellington's because I've only seen it once and that was a few years back).

The roof seems low in the photos and the framework a bit overbearing, but neither are particularly noticeable in real life.

The kea were very subdued (I think just because it was pretty hot that day) so most people I saw simply walked through without stopping because they couldn't see anything immediately.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wellington Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    13 Oct 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.7
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G930F
    Date / Time:
    2017:10:03 10:26:01
    Exposure Time:
    1/499 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 40
    Focal Length:
    4.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).