Join our zoo community
KevinB

Kelp forest aquarium, 2019-10-05

Kelp forest aquarium, 2019-10-05
KevinB, 29 Oct 2019
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • Great Argus
      Wow, this is quite different from the kelp forest exhibits I'm used to seeing!
    • KevinB
    • Great Argus
      @KevinB More used to seeing more plants and less rock, for one. Also none of those fish are ones I'm used to seeing in a kelp forest tank, Leopard Sharks (Triakis semifasciata), various rockfishes (Sebastes spp), Garibaldi, Wolf Eels, and others are ones I'm used to seeing. Normally a bit better lighting too, though some of the ones I normally see have live kelp. Two examples below, from Monterey Bay Aquarium and Seattle Aquarium.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    • KevinB
      Thank you.

Personally I liked the kelp fronds, which were replicated pretty well, the best about this tank, as well as the fact that at least it decently sized for the fish kept.

That said, I personally feel that the kelp tank at the Rotterdam Zoo is better, looks nicer and is closer to your associations about kelp forest tanks.
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Great Argus
      @KevinB I agree it's decently sized for the fish being kept in it.

I'm not familiar with the one at Rotterdam, although I will say both aquariums I posted photos from are both handily placed on the Pacific waterfront with handy access to both fresh seawater and new specimens if need be.
    • KevinB
      This is all that seems to be in the gallery of it currently, unless I have missed something.
      Diergaarde Blijdorp - Kelp forest - ZooChat

With regards to access to seawater: Rotterdam is a port city and the Rotterdam Zoo actually has their own ship to collect seawater from the port. I'm not sure how Pairi Daiza does it, but they are quite a ways away from the sea so they will have to either transport it or make artificial seawater.

Specimens in Europe I assume come either from other zoos or through the trade.
      Great Argus likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pairi Daiza
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    29 Oct 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    E-M10 Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2019:10:05 10:52:31
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 6400
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).