Join our zoo community
cypher

Kiko Close up

The Giraffes moved into the second yard and Kiko walked straight up to me as I watched them from the viewing platform. He stared at me for a while, almost seeing if I had food. Afterwards he went back to Mstari and Twiga.

Kiko Close up
cypher, 15 Sep 2015
    • cypher
      The Giraffes moved into the second yard and Kiko walked straight up to me as I watched them from the viewing platform. He stared at me for a while, almost seeing if I had food. Afterwards he went back to Mstari and Twiga.
    • TZFan
      He seems so people oriented which will be great once the zoo does start the giraffe feeding program.
    • cypher
      He seems very people friendly. At least more so than Mstari, who I find avoids people for the most part.
    • TZFan
      Kiko would be more people oriented because I believe at Greenville there is some sort of feeding program. I don't know if it was part of a behind the scenes thing or a regular program but I have seen lots of photos of their giraffes being hand fed. It would make him more friendly. People = treats. Mstari on the other hand hasn't really been around people that way and remember being born in mid fall it wasn't long before she was away from people pretty much all the time during her first winter. She just hasn't had the exposure Kiko did as a calf. Perhaps when giraffe feeding does begin Mstari will warm up to the public.
    • cypher
      Well that makes a lot of sense. If they do plan on doing feeding program with the public, it'll be interesting to see which Giraffes warm up to the public contact.
    • zeynep
      A little late to this conversation, but they do have a behind the scenes feeding program and Keepers hand fed the Greenvilke giraffes small treats. So yes, Kiko is fairly people - friendly.
    • TZFan
      No there is no feed the giraffe program yet. There is a viewing platform which was modified with giraffe feeding in mind but for now nothing has been done to begin training. Unlikely see giraffe feeding any time soon. Hopefully down the line though.
    • Nisha
      Is the tag in his left ear part of the requirement for keeping Giraffes in Canada?
    • zeynep
      I believe it is because Kiko came from the U.S.
    • TZFan
      The tag is gone. Something happened and it got pulled out.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    15 Sep 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    114.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2015:09:11 11:44:07
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    200 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).