Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

kit fox (left) swift fox (right) exhibits

February 17, 2020

kit fox (left) swift fox (right) exhibits
    • snowleopard
      What species were here in the past? It's interesting to see that the zoo has Swift Foxes, Kit Foxes and Channel Island Foxes...not many zoos of the world (if any!) have that trio on display to the public.
    • Arizona Docent
      One of these used to be fennec fox (which are now in another part of the zoo). They had them side-by-side with swift fox (I think) to compare similar species from opposite sides of the globe. Similarly, just before these exhibits, are side-by-side exhibits of bobcat and caracal to compare similar cat species from opposite sides of the globe.
    • Arizona Docent
      As you mention, their collection of foxes (and carnivores in general) is truly impressive, which is why this zoo is among my five favorites. I love the cat collection (even with the sad move of black footed cat and sand cat behind the scenes). But just look at their collection of dogs and hyenas:
      fennec fox
      swift fox
      kit fox
      channel island fox
      bat eared fox
      african wild dog
      mexican wolf
      striped hyena
    • snowleopard
      @Arizona Docent That is indeed an incredible list and I'm not sure how many zoos in North America can top that. I really need to make my way back to Living Desert Zoo at some point in my life as my only visit was in 2011. How time flies!
    • Arizona Docent
      You would certainly enjoy a return visit, however best to wait a few years. According to a keeper I spoke with, the black rhino exhibit is slated for 3-4 years and the adjacent lion exhibit is slated for 5-6 years. Before that I spoke with a docent who claimed both exhibits would open in one year (even though construction has not started)! When I pressed him he said "we build things pretty fast" (this in spite of the fact that the nearly complete Australian Adventure is one year behind scheduled opening). I trust the keeper's estimate more than the docent's!
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    20 Feb 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    670.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    800px
    Aperture:
    f/3.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    XF10
    Date / Time:
    2020:02:17 09:46:43
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    18.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).