Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

Kodiak bear with cubs, 1973

Bear pit near the white lion, Whipsnade 16th June 1973

Kodiak bear with cubs, 1973
    • gentle lemur
      Ursus arctos middendorffi, adult female with cubs born 21st January 1973.
      There were actually 4 cubs, although only 3 are visible in the photo. Unlike the brown bear enclosure, which is still in use, this deep concrete bear pit was quite small and very bare and bleak. It was next to the polar bear enclosure which was a small concrete oval surrounded by thick bars with overhanging spikes. The lion and tiger 'dells' were further along the escarpment and surrounded by similar bars, but at least they had grass and bushes giving some cover for the animals. Scanned from a Kodachrome transparency.
      Pertinax likes this.
    • Tim May
      @gentle lemur
      This Kodiak bear pit (which originally housed tigers) was always my least favourite Whipsnade exhibit but thanks for uploading the old Whipsnade photos which bring back many memories.
    • Pertinax
      @Tim May I've seen at least one old b/w postcard which shows a tigress and cubs in this pit.
      Tim May likes this.
    • Tim May
      @Pertinax
      I've three 1930s postcards depicting tigers in this pit; two published by the Zoological Society of London and a third published by the commercial postcard company J. Valentines.
      Pertinax likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    3 Mar 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    621.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1414px
    Height:
    1000px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).