Join our zoo community
Monty

Lady Amherst Pheasants

After reading a discussion abut the purity of Lady Amherst Pheasants I was wondering about mine. I have always thought they were pure, what are others opinions.

Lady Amherst Pheasants
Monty, 27 Jun 2013
    • Monty
      After reading a discussion abut the purity of Lady Amherst Pheasants I was wondering about mine. I have always thought they were pure, what are others opinions.
    • FBBird
      These are 50/50 Golden x Amherst hybrids, possibly multi-generation as thy are fully fertile. Pretty birds, but need to be recognised for what they are. Hybrid hens too often get mated to pure bred cocks, which increases the number of hybrids about.
      Please see the discussion of this subject, and photo, from a few days ago
    • vogelcommando
      These 2 surtainly ARE hybrids !
    • Monty
      It would be interesting to know if Australia has pure Amhersts as I thought all the ones I have seen look like mine. It would be a long time since we would have had new blood introduced into our population due to quarantine..
    • Chlidonias
      have a look on Google Images to see what a Lady Amherst's male should look like (i.e. nothing like yours!). It is highly doubtful if there are any pure Lady Amherst's in Australia (or NZ); the best you could hope for would be birds that "look" pure - but they would still throw random offspring.
    • Astrobird
      I believe there are still plenty of pure LA pheasants in Australia, and particular in QLD collections, the difference is quite obvious when you see a pure and a X bred together. I have been caught out before, buying younger birds that were'nt coloured up - the difference in mine only became obvious to me when the Male coloured up.... but know I know, I could have recognised it earlier!
    • Chlidonias
      I just had a quick google and it seems that Queensland is indeed the stronghold for pure Lady Amherst's (although I don't know that I'd say "there are still plenty in Australia" as Astrobird does above). I'm not sure the same would apply in NZ though because we have a smaller population of aviculturists and hence fewer birds so more hybridisation for numbers.

I also see Australian aviculturists still have Siamese fireback pheasants! Those are lovely birds.
    • Monty
      I actually got given eggs to get these, so have never even seen the parents. I think I might take them to a poultry auction and sell them.
    • FBBird
      It would be nice to keep them out of the gene pool, by NOT selling them.
    • Astrobird
      I found a very interesting website of an American feather company which has pictures of many different Pheasant skins (and many more birds!) which shows the differences between pure Golden and Lady Amhurst pheasants and the different cross breeds too. I was interested to see mutations of the Golden, that I had never even heard of before, like "Silver" "Peach" and "Cinnamon". Also interesting is the photo of the Reeves X Lady Amhurst and the Reeves X Silver. - Check out Full Skins | Fly Tying Feathers | Classic Salmon Fly Tying Materials
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Australia - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Monty
    Date:
    27 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    460.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    750px
    Height:
    1000px
    Aperture:
    f/4.4
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    SZ-10
    Date / Time:
    2013:06:27 14:12:39
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    90 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).