Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Lemur Escape Sign

Lemur Escape Sign
ThylacineAlive, 25 Sep 2018
Coelacanth18 and birdsandbats like this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Sign about how the young Ring-Tailed Lemurs can escape... July 31, 2018. There is a similar sign next to the Schmidt's Guenon enclosure.
      FunkyGibbon likes this.
    • birdsandbats
      @ThylacineAlive The story of this sign:

Keeper: Oh no! The baby lemurs and guenons are escaping! What are we going to do?

Zoo management: Nothing. :cool:
    • ThylacineAlive
      @birdsandbats Basically what I imagine happened, yeah. The guenon escaping was reported to a nearby keeper when I was there and he came over and simply pointed out the sign and told everyone to stay away from it.

~Thylo
    • Great Argus
      Well that's interesting. Wonder how many issues they've had over the years. Assuming they're not AZA if the baby primates can exit the enclosure and enter the public area.
    • FunkyGibbon
      Some of Wuppertal's primate cages are similarly porous, if not more so!
    • Chlidonias
      I think it's pretty common. I've seen it with capuchins in NZ zoos. The baby isn't going to go far from its mother.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Chlidonias No they won't, and the guenon I saw escape stayed relatively close and returned once its mother called it. My concern beyond people messing with the animal is the fact that the escaped animals enter nearby enclosures for other animals. I saw the guenon messing around with the turtles, but there's also a gibbon enclosure directly next to the guenons on the other side of the enclosure. These lemurs have tapir next door. Then considering that these enclosures are practically on the path and there are no fences keeping people away from them, I feel as though it's only a matter of time before a visitor or animal is injured somehow.

@Great Argus They are not AZA, no. The zoo also breeds white tigers and has held elephant rides in the recent past.

~Thylo
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Hammy
      @ThylacineAlive Source on the breeding white tigers? Not actually that skeptical, just curious as to when that would have happened, because I know their two tigers are sisters and one is white, but I'm not sure if the zoo actually produced the two of them. I only know that they bred their two current lions.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Hammy Their signage talked about breeding them because they're endangered or something iirc.

~Thylo
    • Hammy
      @ThylacineAlive I'm pretty confident it doesn't. If anything, it says the opposite, even in your picture of the informational sign. I mean, you could be right and I could be completely off-base, but it seems odd to me that the sign says that white tigers don't occur in the while, aren't on a SSP, and the genes from their lineage don't support genetic diversity, and still breed the animals. They don't keep male tigers either, so it's not likely that they're currently breeding at least.

None of this discounting that this place has some questionable practices. I'm more just curious about where those tigers actually came from than anything, and I haven't found much information.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Southwick's Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    25 Sep 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2017:07:31 10:30:41
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 640
    Focal Length:
    150 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).