Join our zoo community
StellarChaser

Lenny the male Lar Gibbon & Bucky the male Sulawesi Babirusa

Lenny the male Lar Gibbon & Bucky the male Sulawesi Babirusa
StellarChaser, 22 Nov 2021
Gil, KevinB, Nix and 3 others like this.
    • Terry Thomas
      Looks as if this one has been cut in half!!
    • AJ the TZ Guy
      Oh, I didn't know they'd started keeping these animals together! I hope it's going well! :3
    • TZFan
      @AJ the TZ Guy, they started doing this last year. Babirusa Bucky moves from the rhino barn to Indo to free up space in the rhino barn for winter since there is only one display exhibit and he and Olive really cant take the cold the way the rhinos can. The original plan when the babirusa arrived was to keep them with the gibbons full time. Gibbon Lenny had other ideas. They had expected Holly to be the problem with the new exhibit mates. Nope Lenny lost his mind. He kept attacking the babirusa. Hitting them, throwing things, displaying. They hoped he would settle down but it became clear it was not working and both animals were getting stressed and he was starting to be a bad influence on Holly. They ended the program and it was only last year when they could test out things without the additional stress of guests that Lenny accepted Bucky. Olive isn't being brought over likely due to her leg condition. No reason to risk moving her or having her get hurt by the gibbons or Bucky. I think in Indo they would need the two babirusa together all of the time to make it work. They havent been together since Muna was conceived. But that's purely due to her leg not that Bucky is mean or anything. It's why she cannot be bred again despite being the most genetically valuable female. They are too worried about what the act of breeding, pregnancy or a piglet running into it wrong could do. She's just a girl with a bad limp and a sweet personality. I got to pet her and feed her lettuce during my rhino encounter.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    StellarChaser
    Date:
    22 Nov 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count: