Join our zoo community
David Matos Mendes

Lesser anteater exhibit - Zoo São Paulo

Lesser anteater exhibit - Zoo São Paulo
    • carlos55
      Ten years ago this enclosure held the meerkats. It had a small moat.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @carlos55 Oh, so zoo São Paulo alreay had meerkats before the constructio of the exhibit in front of the giraffes? Thanks for the info, I didn't know about that. It seems that this entire wing of the zoo where this exhibit is located used to be entirely ocupied by exotic animals in the past, once I know there were Gharials, wisents and african penguins, and with the fact of the meerkats you told me, I really think it was so.

By the way, do you remember seeing the penguins at SP zoo? For what I know, they used to be kept in one of the exhibits that now hold crowned caimans, very near to this one in the picture.
    • carlos55
      The Penguins were in front of the sea lions. Maybe they went to Aquario São Paulo.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @carlos55 Yes, that's exactly the exhibit I heard about. As I said, now there are reptiles on it.

I don't think they went to the aquarium, because I remember having watched a video showing that at some point, there was only a single penguin left, so I bet they were getting old and dying gradually until the last one.

Edit: I found the mentioned video:
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      It isn't a bad enclosure for the lesser anteater, not great either, but by no means terrible.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus Yeah, It's pretty average. Most of the lesser anteater exhibits in the country are mostly similar to this...
      @David Matos Mendes Yes, unfortunately I agree but this one is much bigger than the others I've seen.

The thing I don't like about it is that I believe the animal should have more opportunities to hide away if it wants to.

I think there should be more hides placed up high like the one currently in use and in the picture but not open fronted for the public to see into it but rather closed so the animal can chill out and feel secluded.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus Yeah, I've seen worse exhibits too. Also think this species, for being an animal that lives in quite dense vegetation, needed a bit more trees and bushes too.

One of the lesser anteater/ porcupine mixed exhibits in BH is a little better enriched than this one check it out:

DSCN3588_Moment.jpg

In the opposite side, we've got way worse exhibits than the one in SP. If I'm not wrong, they used to live in very small cages in Aracaju and Guarani. Gonna try to find the pics.
      @David Matos Mendes To be honest I really prefer the BH zoo lesser anteater / porcupine enclosure in the picture you just shared than to the one at SP Zoo.

The BH Zoo enclosure just looks far greener and suitable for this species.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus There's another one even larger in BH, yet less vegetated, holding them too. It can be better seen in google maps: Google Maps

I've seen some pictures of pretty nice exhibits for Myrmecophaga tetradactyla in either Bauru or Sorocaba, don't remember wich of these were the pictures from...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoological Park of Sao Paulo
    Uploaded By:
    David Matos Mendes
    Date:
    30 Oct 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/3.4
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P500
    Date / Time:
    2020:10:24 14:39:44
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).