Join our zoo community
GillP

L'hoest Monkey 29 November 2009

L'hoest Monkey 29 November 2009
GillP, 29 Nov 2009
    • Pertinax
      Colchester's pair are among the very few of this species in captivity anywhere. And also perhaps the most successful breeders. Another baby was born the other day(total 4 young)
    • GillP
      I think this is the father. The newest baby was born 3 November.
    • Pertinax

Almost definately- it has the 'full face' look of an adult male.

I wonder if they know the sex of the latest baby yet? I was impressed to see how this group has multiplied- on my previous visit several years back they only had the pair and I rather presumed they wouldn't breed- so pleased to be proved wrong!

There are very few of these around in zoos (worldwide). colchester is one of only about six zoos in Europe keeping and breeding them. The only other UK group is Edinburgh.
    • Goretex
      I hope they keep these!!:D Its great living so close to a monkey species which you can hardly see anywhere else.
    • GillP
      I love watching these monkeys. They are very inquisitive and will often come right up to the glass to have a look at your camera, or whatever soft toy my daughter's insisted on bringing that day.
    • Pertinax
      Update from 2009. There are now L'Hoests Guenon in several more European Zoos. In UK they are also now breeding at Twycross and Blackpool as well as Edinburgh & Colchester.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Colchester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    GillP
    Date:
    29 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: