Join our zoo community
sooty mangabey

Limburgse Zoo, Genk - Polar bear 'enclosure'

Widely regarded as one of the worst zoos in Europe, this finally closed at around the turn of the century. This picture is from 1995. This really was it - this is not a dirty corner of an otherwise capacious enclosure. Similar areas for many more bears, as well as big cats.

Limburgse Zoo, Genk - Polar bear 'enclosure'
sooty mangabey, 13 May 2011
    • sooty mangabey
      Widely regarded as one of the worst zoos in Europe, this finally closed at around the turn of the century. This picture is from 1995.

This really was it - this is not a dirty corner of an otherwise capacious enclosure. Similar areas for many more bears, as well as big cats.
    • chizlit
      I'm almost speechless that this happened in a civilized country only a few years ago!
      Where there not laws in place to close the zoo earlier or demand an improvement in conditions?
      Did the locals in Belgium not complain?
    • sooty mangabey
      It was certainly quite notorious and attracted a great deal of criticism from the media. On the day I visited - an August in 1995 - we were the only visitors, and the place didn't look as if it had received many guests any time recently.

There was much comment at the time, from the BBC and other observers, on the irony of this being so close to Brussels. Belgians I know felt thoroughly ashamed that this was going on in their country. As far as I know, the country now has legislation in place which would not allow another Limburgse to happen...
    • chizlit
      I'm pleased to hear that the Belgians made their feelings known by not visiting,and Im happy that in Belgium at least it cant happen again.
      It would be nice to know what happened to all the other animals after it's closure.
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Europe? That had to be one of the worst zoos in the world! :(
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Limburgse Zoo (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    sooty mangabey
    Date:
    13 May 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    220.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1088px
    Height:
    1600px
    Date / Time:
    2011:05:13 18:34:56

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).