Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Lincoln Park Zoo - Leopard Exhibit

July 2008. This is the entire cage, and what you see is what you get. Brutally small, and horrendously loud as it is entirely indoors.

Lincoln Park Zoo - Leopard Exhibit
snowleopard, 26 Jul 2008
    • snowleopard
      July 2008. This is the entire cage, and what you see is what you get. Brutally small, and horrendously loud as it is entirely indoors.
    • Jaguar
      Terrible design, the brick makes this look like some type of high securtiy jail. Not good at all.
    • snowleopard
      The leopard simply paces back and forth all day long beneath its fake blue sky backdrop...and the cat house is unbelievably noisy when the free zoo is packed with visitors.
    • RhinoIguana154
      (removed comment because Falcosparverius told me this was off-topic sorry dude :()
    • Falcosparverius
      And how much money would you need for that? How much effort would you put into "[making] a lion house?"
      @RhinoIguana, please stop spamming generalized and fantasized comments on other's posts. It does not add to the discussion of the zoo's actual exhibit.
    • pachyderm pro
      This is actually a Jaguar. Yes he does pace quite a lot, Luckily the cat house is being redone soon.
    • Giant Panda
      Looks an awful lot like a leopard to me.
    • Chlidonias
      yeah, it's a leopard alright.

However, interestingly enough, just now while googling some photos of the jaguar enclosure in this house (which is also in the Zoochat gallery of course, and is "landscaped" quite differently to the leopard one), I saw that there were some photos of the jaguar in the terrarium pictured above. So perhaps the jaguar is in this one now, and that is why pachyderm pro thinks the photo is of a jaguar?
    • Chlidonias
      actually, here's a photo by carlos55 taken December 2014 showing a jaguar in this box - it is sitting on the rock directly in front of (but behind) the leopard in the above photo, above where the log is.
      http://www.zoochat.com/577/jaguar-lpz-397119/

He says that now (then) only the jaguars and servals were inside the house, each species had three cages, and all the other cats were housed outside.
    • Giant Panda
      I figured that was probably the source of confusion.

Incidentally, I've just been re-reading Mason & Rushen's Stereotypic Animal Behaviour (2008). For any ZooChatters interested in carnivore pacing, Chapter 3 provides an excellent discussion of the topic.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lincoln Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    26 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    273.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:03 11:47:19
    Exposure Time:
    10/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).