Join our zoo community
FunkyGibbon

Lion Enclosure - with impaired lioness

Lion Enclosure - with impaired lioness
FunkyGibbon, 9 Aug 2015
    • banham.tiger
      This does not look very adequate for a big cat species! :(
    • FunkyGibbon
      I'm sure there is someone who knows more than I do about this on here, but I'll have a stab. Samira was crippled by her father carrying her in her mouth as a cub. I'm not exactly sure what her impairment is, but she has very little functionality in one of her hind limbs. I think she has had two litters and was previously with two other lions at the top of the park. I don't know what sparked the move to this enclosure by the elephant accommodation, but it is very recent.
      We were told that they are happy with the size of the fence and enclosure given her condition. They must be completely confident it is safe for her to be in there!
    • Loxodonta Cobra
      That wooden fence "holding" her? Even with a impaired leg, that does not look very safe for keeping a lion at all.
    • FunkyGibbon
      That's a very tempting knee jerk reaction, but I think it should be remembered that zoo staff are professionals who take their jobs seriously. I'm not saying that people don't make mistakes, but I am saying if the potential mistake looks this obvious they must be certain it's okay.
    • Pertinax
      I think I can see mesh higher than the wooden railings...

I believe the quite severe nerve damage was sustained to a foreleg rather than a hindleg. When I watched her some years back she seemed to have to move in a circular motion and was quite noticeably handicapped. I would think climbing isn't possible for her so that this is safe- if unusual. I hadn't realised she has had cubs.
    • Loxodonta Cobra
      Oh, my apologies then, I had not known that the damage was in the front leg instead of the hind leg :( It would make climbing out a very difficult and very painful procedure for her.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Port Lympne Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    9 Aug 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: