Hix

Lion - Lion and Cheetah Park, Zimbabwe

July 1985

Lion - Lion and Cheetah Park, Zimbabwe
Hix, 2 Dec 2008
    • Hix
      July 1985
    • Bwana Simba
      Does anybody have more pictures of The Lion and Cheetah Park??? There doesn't seem to be much info about it online, and I think it's shut down now.
      The last news that I read about the place said that the Bristow family is no longer in control of it, since it was taken over by "war veterans". I doubt any of the animals there are even alive right now.
      I'd really like to see more pictures of the park, even if they're old ones.
    • Hix
      And unfortunately, I don't have any other photos other than those in the gallery. I took many more at the park, and at the nearby Larvon Bird Gardens and McIlwaine National Park but they got ruined by an enthusiastic Customs Officer and his x-ray machine. I remember that aswell as the lions, cheetahs (which I didn't see) and zebra they also had a troop of chacma baboons and I think warthogs and spotted hyenas.
    • Bwana Simba
      Thanks for ur reply Hix, and nice hearing from u. I'm actually rom Tanzania and i'm an animal fanatic lol. I always wanted to work with animals, and I hope I can someday.
      I love places like the Lion and Cheetah Park, it seemed to be a great place unlike other zoos. It's too bad that the Bristow family lost control of it. I believe they've set up a similar place in Mauritius now, i'll post the link here later.
      I also found a short clip of the original Lion and Cheetah Park, i'll post that link too. I'm a new member on Zoochat, and I browse the gallery every night, some of the pics are really good.........excellent habitats, and a few which need a LOT of improvement lol.
    • Hix
      I've just had a quick look through my slides and found I also took a couple of photos of a Spot-necked Otter they had on display.
    • Bwana Simba
      Oh that's great, hope you can post it sometime soon. I hope there's somebody on Zoochat who has more photos of the place, it would be nice to see more of the lions and the other animals they had there. From what I know, there was a drive - through lion enclosure, a drive - through hoofstock enclosure, and a walk - through section with lions, cheetahs, crocodiles and other animals.
      Here's the link to the video I mentioned earlier:
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5suSlx14vn4]YouTube - Africa Adventure Series - Lion park Zimbabwe[/ame]

And here's another link with some pictures of the place, they're more close-ups of the animals though, not of the habitats/enclosures:
      Lion and cheetah park :: Blog :: BabakFakhamzadeh.com
    • DanKoehl
      Im pretty sure Viv Bristow and his sons are with their elephants at Botlierskop game reserve in South Africa, see Botlierskop game reserve in South Africa
    • shumba
      Hi, I just came back from a wonderful holiday in Zimbabwe in June. The Lion park in Harare is still open. It does need a face lift though (Paint ect) but the animals i saw were in excellent condition.
    • Bwana Simba
      That's great Shumba, good to know that the park is still open and in good condition. Did you take any pictures? I'm assuming you did..........and i'm looking forward to seeing them here soon :) Post them ALL lol, it'd be nice to see the park in it's present condition, and especially since there's not too many pictures of it available from the old days.
      How's the Zimbabwe situation though? I haven't been following up, too busy with work :( I didn't expect people to be visiting there anytime soon :)
    • Hix
      I've come across a few people who have visited Zimbabwe recently, and they say the tourist facilities are still in place (or at least the ones they went to were still in place), there's plenty of wildlife to see and virtually no tourists. And it's cheap. They've all said it was really good value for money and a great holiday.

I'd love to go back again, but Uncle Bobby won't be getting any of my tourist dollars anytime soon.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zimbabwe - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    2 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    192.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    950px
    Height:
    621px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).