Join our zoo community
Tim May

Lion x Jaguar hybrid; Tring Zoological Museum; 21st March 2010

Lion x Jaguar hybrid; Tring Zoological Museum; 21st March 2010
Tim May, 21 Mar 2010
    • Jacobea
      An interesting hybrid. The markings seem to resemble those you find on juvenile lions :)
    • Chlidonias
      any idea where this was bred?
    • Jacobea
      For anyone who is interested, there is some fascinating information on big cat and other feline hybrids here:

HYBRID AND MUTANT ANIMALS
    • Tim May
      I don’t know where this specimen was bred.

London Zoo received a lion x (leopard x jaguar) triple hybrid in 1908 which, I believe, was born in Chicago.

It has been suggested that this museum specimen, although labelled lion x jaguar hybrid, is actually this triple hybrid; unfortunately I don’t know whether or not this is true.
    • Blackduiker
      A first for me!
    • stubeanz
      i love this museum! quite a few hybrids here
    • redpanda
      It is certainly a very interesting and worthwhile place to visit.
    • Arizona Docent
      As has been mentioned on another ZooChat thread, there are a pair of jaglions right now in Canada. Since the jaguar parent is melanisitic (black), it is fascinating that one of the jaglion cubs is black and the other is not! Here is the link:

Bear Creek Sanctuary - Jaglions
    • Pertinax
      interesting the Jaguar x Leopard hybrid must have been fertile to then cross with the Lion.

If I remember correctly these hybrids are perched above(?) the other big cats on display at Tring.
    • Tim May
      Yes the hybrid big cats are perched above the other big cats at Tring. (There is also a melanistic serval and an albino leopard on display too.)

There are reports of fertile lion x tiger hybrids, so I guess it is not too surprising that the leopard x jaguar hybrid was fertile.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tring Natural History Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    21 Mar 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: