Join our zoo community
AWP

Little Red Brocket Deer

Ecozoo San Martín

Little Red Brocket Deer
AWP, 9 Sep 2017
    • Giant Eland
      Fantastic sighting @AWP !! How did you get to this zoo? Did you originally fly into Quito?
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      birdsandbats
      The shadows make this photo look amazing.
      AWP likes this.
    • AWP
      @Giant Eland I travelled around Ecuador in May 2017. I flew to Quito and after visiting the northern Andes and the Amazon, I arrived in Baños de Agua Santa. The zoo is located just outside this town and you can easily walk from the town centre to the zoo (there are plenty of taxi as well). Species wise, the brocket deer was one of the highlights for me as I never saw a Mazama before.
    • Giant Eland
      @AWP Thank you for your response! So did you travel between Baños de Agua Santa and Quito at all? Is there a bus or something?

And yes this Brocket species would be especially exciting for me! I can't believe that's the first species you had seen!! I've seen 5/6 species so far but never this one!!
    • AWP
      I arrived at Baños from a lodge in the Amazon with a group in an organized tour, so I don't know about the public busses. Baños is a very popular backpackers destination, so I guess it won't be very difficult to reach.

It could have been my second brocket deer, but I hadn't paid attention to the South American deer at my first visit to Zoo Berlin, so I missed not only the gray brocket deer but the pampas and swamp deer as well... Nowadays Faunia in Madrid is the only place in Europe with brocket deer. I've been to Madrid, but visited the Zoo during that trip. I have some hopes to see Mazama temama later this year.
    • Newzooboy
      I saw one of these a couple of week's ago on a night walk in Tortuguero, Costa Rica.......sadly only quick flash of eyes and red fur in torch before disappearing into the dark. No photo....:(
      AWP likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Ecozoo San Martín
    Uploaded By:
    AWP
    Date:
    9 Sep 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/4.6
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX S7000
    Date / Time:
    2017:05:16 17:44:58
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 125
    Focal Length:
    14.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).