London Zoo february 1984

male panda

London Zoo february 1984
colobus, 30 Jan 2011
felis silvestris likes this.
    • colobus
      male panda
    • FBBird
      Doesn't look too bad, considering it's in a recyled monkey cage. Do you or anyone else have any photos of the old geese & crane paddocks on the North Bank? Would like to see some of these on here.
    • Cat-Man
      i do miss having Panda at our national zoo:(
    • mcatee123
      Can you imagine pandas being put in recycled monkey cages these days!
    • carlos77
      Is this Chia Chia, who is was sent to Chapultepec Zoo in mexico were he bred with Tohui, the first panda born outside of China ? Xin Xin, only of the few giant pandas not owned by the Chinese government, was the result.
    • mcatee123
      Its either Chia-chia or Ching-ching the sickly female that died in '85
      They arived in '74 as gifts from the PROC government back when the pandas were gifts rather than given on loan.
    • Cat-Man
      Ching-Ching was the sick one who needed a lot of medical attention, however this taught us a lot of what we know about panda today. also, i wasn't suggesting that the panda should be kept in a monkey cage, i just wish we still had panda in the capital, sorry for any mis-understanding:/
    • Pertinax
      Its what they are doing at Edinburgh, but with major renovation/makeover.

Actually the Sobell cage was okay for Giant Pandas- they are not very active as adults so do not utilise a lot of space even if given it. It had roof space they could climb into as well.

Pretty sure this is the male ChiaChia-as the photo is listed. Adult males have a more burly, rounded profile than a similar-aged female.
    • mcatee123
      I thought edinburgh were constructing a new facility behind the monkey house .
      I was there last week the monkey house is still open and in operation.
      Are the modifying the old Gorilla/Orang-utan abortion of a building that is behind it ?
    • Shirokuma
      Yes it's the gorilla enclosure which is being modified.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    colobus
    Date:
    30 Jan 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    162.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1078px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).