mweb08

Long walk from exhibits to front

Old hoofstock exhibits

Long walk from exhibits to front
mweb08, 29 Jul 2009
    • mweb08
      Old hoofstock exhibits
    • snowleopard
      What's with all the old, partly empty exhibits at the Maryland Zoo? Hoofstock, bear, elephant, etc...doesn't the zoo tear down its outdated enclosures?
    • mweb08
      I only saw the old hoofstock enclosures, which they put up a sign about, and makes the long walk more enjoyable. They could easily use those though if they put a little work into them. Not sure where those other old exhibits are, they're not by the current exhibits or on the path I used to get to and from the entrance.

There is a ton of unused space there though, so I guess it's not important to tear down old exhibits if they have no plans for that space. And for people like us, I think it is interesting to see some of the zoos history.
    • reduakari

It didn't have the money to maintain or repair these old exhibits, and it would have cost millions to demolish them. This is the US zoo that has danced closer the edge of having to close up shop than any other, even though it does have some nice points (African Plains, Childrens' Zoo). Attendance is very modest considering the metro population
    • mweb08
      The old kodiak bear exhibit has been turned into the very prairie dog exhibit.
    • Maguari
      There's a bit of European stereotype of North Americans that they're always racing to get rid of anything older than 6 months (comedian Eddie Izzard introduced himself at an American gig by saying 'I'm from Europe, where the history comes from') - you seem to take this aspect of your culture particularly seriously!

As reduakari has said, it isn't free to demolish things. If they're not dangerous there may be more pressing places for the money to be spent. Also, they may wish to use them (in some form) at a later time. This paddock looks very pleasant.
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Beautiful grazing space for hoofstock, which would be a better use of these historic enclosures.:confused:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
    Uploaded By:
    mweb08
    Date:
    29 Jul 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: