Join our zoo community
blospz

Look What I Can Do!

I believe this is Jothi (Asian Elephant).

Look What I Can Do!
blospz, 21 May 2010
    • blospz
      I believe this is Jothi (Asian Elephant).
    • Arizona Docent
      Do the keepers make her do that, or does she do it on her own? If it is on her own, I presume she was a circus elephant?
    • blospz
      I'm not sure if she was ever in the circus, she was born in a zoo from India. Buki, the matriarch elephant who died last year was from the circus. I'm not sure if they all had a background in the circus of if they learned this behavior at the Buffalo Zoo; the elephant in Syracuse that came from our zoo can do the same behavior. But they do have a command for her to go in that position. I do feel guilty enjoying seeing her in that cute position knowing it's really not natural and more of a circus act.
    • Blackduiker
      I was just thinking, "right out of Ringling Brothers."
    • Jabiru96
      Do they get all the elpehants to go in this position or just her?
    • blospz
      There's only two elephants and the more I look at it I think it's Surapa. I believe during an informal training session with the elephants, I also saw Jothi having to do the same thing. But mostly Surapa is one the who does it because she's used for the public training sessions and for her painting times. Part of me feels bad that Jothi is neglected since she doesn't have a talent like painting, but maybe it's actually better she doesn't have to entertain for the audience. I feel she's the more rebellious out of the two anyway.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Buffalo Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    blospz
    Date:
    21 May 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    595.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1175px
    Height:
    1327px
    Aperture:
    f/4.7
    Make:
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:
    KODAK EASYSHARE M853 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    Date / Time:
    2118:12:25 20:29:24
    Exposure Time:
    13086/1000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    15.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).