Join our zoo community
geomorph

Lost Forest - Ituri Forest - Hippopotamus Exhibit

November 2013. This African-themed exhibit complex opened in 2 phases in the 1990?s and has 5 exhibits.

Lost Forest - Ituri Forest - Hippopotamus Exhibit
geomorph, 20 May 2014
    • geomorph
      November 2013. This African-themed exhibit complex opened in 2 phases in the 1990’s and has 5 exhibits.
    • PAT
      I'm loving your comprehensive photos of San Diego Zoo. It's quite a daunting task and I admire your hard work. The hippo pool looks big and (eerily) blue but I was wondering if you have any photos that show the land area available to the hippos.
    • geomorph
      I noticed that none of my pics clearly show that land area!
    • Buldeo

If I remember correctly, it's not much. There's a bit to the top left of the image, but the bulk of the land area was behind the scenes.
    • PAT
      Thanks for the replies, I asked in this photo because it gave at least a glimpse. I assumed that the case was that there is only a small portion of land. Is there any zoo exhibit for hippopotamus that combines effective underwater views and an adequate amount of land space. I really enjoyed Berlin Zoo's exhibit but I think the weather works against them. My visit was in the middle of winter and they were confined to the indoor area.
    • Buldeo
      While I've only seen pictures of it, Busch Gardens' exhibit might meet your needs. I would also toss in the River's Edge exhibit over at the St. Louis Zoo, but it's been a while since I've been there. I could be misremembering the amount of available land.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      The hippo exhibit at BG has more land area than many hippo exhibits around the US, but it's still not an ideal amount of space.
    • Cat-Man
      I believe that Disney's Animal Kingdom offers a large amount of land area.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    20 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: