Join our zoo community
Animal

Low safty at the african lion safari

The Gate and the fence between cheetahs and lions at the african lion safari

Low safty at the african lion safari
Animal, 12 Jun 2009
    • Animal
      The Gate and the fence between cheetahs and lions at the african lion safari
    • James27
      Wow that is low, I could jump that lol.
    • Animal
      And you wouldn't have to ;) The gate was open the whole time!
    • Bwana Simba
      I was there a couple of weeks ago, and i'll be visiting again on the 17th next week.

I too noticed the open gates between all enclosures, and I really don't know how they manage to keep the animals separated in their respective enclosures. I even emailed them to ask, but didn't get any response.

The hoofstock are prevented from leaving their enclosures due to the grating/grid at each gate, but what about the baboons, lions and cheetahs?
      If I remember, the lion and cheetah enclosures are adjacent, and the gate was wide open. The rangers are constantly patrolling in the trucks but I still think that if a lion decided to make a run for it into the cheetah or any other adjoining enclosure, it would succeed. Unless they've received some kind of training or conditioning that keeps them all in their respective enclosures?

When I was there, it seemed like none of the animals were even interested in approaching the gates leading to the next enclosure, except for one baboon who tried to sneak out on a ranger's truck but was chased back in by the keeper at the gate. Otherwise all the animals kept well away from the gates............it would be interesting to know how they manage this, or if they ever had an experience where a carnivore entered another enclosure and caused havoc.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    African Lion Safari
    Uploaded By:
    Animal
    Date:
    12 Jun 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    148.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    531px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D300
    Date / Time:
    2008:10:11 19:49:39
    Exposure Time:
    5/1000 sec
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).