Join our zoo community
LaughingDove

Macropod Species

Macropod Species
LaughingDove, 3 Jul 2016
    • LaughingDove
      20/06/2016
      It seemed a bit big and not quite right for Red-necked though. Maybe Whiptail?
    • Chlidonias
      it's a kangaroo not a wallaby (look at the size and shape of the head). Whiptail wallabies also have prominent ear markings.

I think it must be a red kangaroo.
    • LaughingDove
      It could be, the other species in this enclosure was Red Kangaroos (also not signed, but they were obviously Red Kangaroos) but they were much bigger and more red kangaroo-like than this one which seemed different.

Ps. Thanks for the confirmations of the other two wallaby pictures.
    • Chlidonias
    • LaughingDove
      Yes same enclosure, I think one of them is the same individual.

There were two walkthrough wallaby/kangaroo enclosures, neither had any signage.
      One had (Eastern I am assuming) Grey Kangaroo, Red-necked Wallaby, and Swamp Wallaby (and Emu), and the other enclosure had Red Kangaroo, Swamp Wallaby again, and this species.
    • Chlidonias
      mm, I wondered if that right-hand individual was the one in this photo. The left-hand one looks like a red-necked wallaby but the other almost looks like a hybrid. I really couldn't say what it was.
    • LaughingDove
      Here's something else to add to the mix: http://www.zoochat.com/1415/macropod-species-452864/

It was in a different enclosure to the one above, however I think it may be the same species? I don't think it was a Red-necked Wallaby which was also present in the same enclosure as this was considerably larger.
    • Chlidonias
      that one is a red-necked wallaby.
    • Hix
      Whiptail Wallaby, although there is a lot of red colouration in it. Definitely not a red kangaroo.

OK, Red-neck Wallaby.
    • Chlidonias
      the head is completely the wrong shape for a whiptail wallaby, and there are no ear markings.

I don't think it's a red kangaroo either (now) but the head is really throwing me off. It's a weird-looking animal.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    LaughingDove
    Date:
    3 Jul 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: