Join our zoo community
Bele

Magpie gosling with mother

The male was doing his best to chase me away , good job there was a fence between us .

Magpie gosling with mother
Bele, 10 Nov 2014
    • Bele
      The male was doing his best to chase me away , good job there was a fence between us .
    • adrian1963
      love these they are so beautiful and a wonderful species to have in ANY collection first gosling I have ever seen of this species thank you for sharing
    • Potamogale
      So pleased to see this - when I visited in September the female was sitting tight on the nest and the male was indeed being very possessive and was not best pleased with me stopping to try and snap a shot ... recall there were another 2 Magpie Geese elsewhere at Llanelli too ( one of my favourite waterfowl ) .
    • Bele
      Yes , there is another pair in the Australian walk-through . They have had them in the collection for years but I have not been aware of them breeding before . They breed regularly at Slimbridge . They are full of character but give me the impression of not being too intelligent - perhaps because of the strange shape of their head .
    • Pertinax
      They look rather Dodo-ish, or alternatively like a link between Geese and Screamers( though they aren't) Hope the gosling(a weird-looking thing isn't it?) survives- Black Swans breed successfully in our winters.
    • LaughingDove
      Black swans are found in much colder areas of Australia though whereas magpie geese are in more northern areas. Although having said that with the correct care the goslings should be able to survive. :)
    • gentle lemur
      Unlike the dodo they are strong fliers. At one time Slimbridge had a full-winged male and in flight he looked rather like a long-necked crow with broad black wings beating slowly.

Alan
    • Pertinax
      Seen them wild in Kakadu too- even more impressive in huge flocks!
    • Pertinax
      Good point. It seems from what others say they have been bred successfully in UK though.
    • Bele
      Unfortunately there was no sight of the gosling when I visited last Sunday . The adult pair were very subdued and did not bother to get up to greet me , as they often do with visitors who stop at their pen .
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Llanelli WWT National Wetlands Centre
    Uploaded By:
    Bele
    Date:
    10 Nov 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    467.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.4
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ40
    Date / Time:
    2014:11:09 15:00:20
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    9 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).