Main Building

July 22nd, 2015.

Main Building
snowleopard, 23 Jul 2015
    • snowleopard
      July 22nd, 2015.
    • Jake1508
    • snowleopard
      @Jake1508 I do have a review, which I typed up on my Snowleopard's 2015 Road Trip thread. Here you go:

Gone Wild Safari:

Gone Wild Safari is a non-AZA accredited zoo located in Pineville, Louisiana, and it just opened in 2010. Like a few zoos that I’ve toured on this latest summer trek the establishment is out in the middle of nowhere and rural farmland is in all directions. Gone Wild Safari is actually only 20 minutes from Alexandria Zoo and I was for the most part rather disappointed with the facility. The walking tour consists of a couple of giraffes, a walk-in budgie aviary that is a waste of space, plus small animal exhibits for Fennec Fox, Tamandua, Coati and some macaws. Everything can be seen in around 20 minutes as one waits for the hourly “safari” to commence. That involves sitting in the back of a bus with all of the seats removed so that there is a long bench along each side of the vehicle. The tour takes about 30 minutes and the driver stops at a couple of locations for photo opportunities. One cool thing is that I had a driver who had just started his first day on the job and I was the only passenger! The young guy was a history major and he was a unique character. On each occasion of us stopping the animals stampeded over as if they had never been fed and the bus was surrounded by species such as: Brindled Wildebeest, American Bison, Fallow Deer, Common Eland, Dromedary, Bactrian Camel, Llama, Emu, Ostrich, Watusi Cattle, Scottish Highland Cattle and Asian Water Buffalo. This zoo is literally just a family project that has expanded to become an authentic zoological experience, although the quality is definitely lacking.
      Jake1508 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Gone Wild Safari
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    23 Jul 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: