Join our zoo community
Zooish

Malayan Colugos

Got really lucky today at the Zoo, I saw not one or two but five colugos! I initially thought this was just a pair until an extra head popped out and stared at me :) The one with the reddish-brown fur is the male.

Malayan Colugos
Zooish, 31 Jul 2015
    • Zooish
      Got really lucky today at the Zoo, I saw not one or two but five colugos! I initially thought this was just a pair until an extra head popped out and stared at me :) The one with the reddish-brown fur is the male. This trio was spotted between the chimpanzee and saltwater crocodile exhibits, on one of their favourite resting trees.
    • devilfish
      Wow. A great sighting! Congrats!
    • savethelephant
      How often do you see these animals?
    • Zooish
      @devilfish: Thanks!

@savetheelephant: I'd see colugos probably 2 out of 3 visits to the Zoo, but usually just one individual.
    • TeaLovingDave
      You lucky bastard :D
    • zooboy28
      I am returning to Singapore Zoo in December, and Colugos are the highest priority species by far. Are there any other specific places in the zoo (or River Safari, Jurong) to look for them? I will explicitly look in these trees between the crocodiles and chimps though - on the exhibit side of the path?Is there a particular time of day they are most likely to be spotted?
    • Zooish
      I've always spotted them at the Zoo or Night Safari. I've never seen them at River Safari before, probably because it's quite built-up. No colugos at Jurong.

At the Zoo, other than the above-mentioned (look for the trees with straight bare trunks along the footpath between the chimps and crocs), another spot where I've seen colugos repeatedly is the Komodo Dragon / Giant Tortoise area (where the other photo was taken). Look around the trees near the Komodo Dragon viewing hut. They don't travel much during daylight hours so chances are they'll be resting in more or less the same area for most of the day.

At Night Safari, look around the trees near the elephant sculptures at the entrance before it gets dark. I've seen colugos there on a few occasions. Inside the park I don't know of any particular area that they like to congregate, so just keep your eyes peeled for flying objects! ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    31 Jul 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: