Join our zoo community
Tarsius

Malayan Tapirs and Okapi

4 Malayan tapirs together and the male Okapi"Patrick" in the background, picture from the 60ty's, taken out of an Animal Magazine.

Malayan Tapirs and Okapi
Tarsius, 26 Feb 2011
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • Tarsius
      4 Malayan tapirs together and the male Okapi"Patrick" in the background, picture from the 60ty\'s, taken out of an Animal Magazine.
    • PeGe
      Amazing picture. Not only because of the 4 Tapirs together but also because of the dominant colours.
    • kiang
      This picture just amazes me, what stops one of the tapirs from jumping down or being pushed down into the public area, this is nothing more than a podium.
      Was this taken in the rhino house or elsewhere?
    • Meaghan Edwards
      Wow, amazing picture. Count me in as curious as to how they're being contained!
    • Benzoo
      If I remember correct there is a narrow pool in front of the public area. There is a drawing of the layout of the rhinohouse, which this is, in a IZY or some German zoo magazine late 60 or early 70-ies.
    • robmv
      Well remembered! Here's the plan from IZY 6 (1966): link.

The pool is completely invisible in the photo, but clearly shown on the plan (#3).
    • Shirokuma
      Even with a pool it seems very dangerous. Does anyone know how long it lasted in this form?
    • robmv
      The tapir stalls were rebuilt in 1987.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Berlin Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Tarsius
    Date:
    26 Feb 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: