Malayan Tiger Exhibit
snowleopard, 12 Sep 2012
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • snowleopard
      Aug. 5th, 2012.
    • Blackduiker
      This looks pretty cozy for the tigers.
    • snowleopard
      The exhibit is easily one of the best enclosures at Little Rock Zoo, and on a side note it is interesting as to how many Malayan tiger habitats I saw on my 50 day, 50 zoo/aquarium summer road trip. Several zoos have phased out other species to focus on Malayans.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      That brings up the question, What subspecies do most U.S. zoos focus on? Back when ISIS was around, I found that Amur Tiger seemed to be the most common subspecies in US zoos, but Malayans I believe were second, as more zoos seem to be more interested in acquiring them. As you have visited tons of US zoos, which subspecies have you seen the most SL?
    • snowleopard
      Good question! I used to see Amur tigers everywhere and that still might be the most common subspecies, but Malayans have definitely increased in the past couple of years. We need ISIS back online to get an accurate figure.
    • jbnbsn99
      Malayans are probably 3rd after Amur and Sumatran. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a real Amur.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Huh, I'd thought Malayans were second. It might eventually turn out that way, as more zoos are becoming interested in Malayans.
    • uszoo
      No i just think that zoos such as the bronx zoo are breeding large amounts of malayan tigers. (6 in 2 years)
    • snowleopard
      You are probably correct. I just read a press release from Point Defiance Zoo that listed the North American captive population of Sumatran tigers at 73, while the Malayan total is at 55. I do not know the Amur tiger numbers but I would also estimate that Amurs are the most common of the 3 subspecies that North American zoos are keeping their focus on.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Little Rock Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    12 Sep 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    632.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2012:08:05 12:07:18
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).