Join our zoo community
dennisthetiger

malayan tiger

malayan tiger
dennisthetiger, 20 Aug 2009
    • Arizona Docent
      Very nice shot; this is one place I would like to go someday. Was the tiger lit by floodlights, since you didn't use a flash? (In fact, I believe they prohibit flash photography, right?). How high was your ISO?
    • James27
      This is a great pic, although am I the only one who thinks this looks like a Sumatran tiger?
      EDIT: I've changed my mind, don't think it does anymore lol.
    • dennisthetiger
      hi arizona, well the lighting actually aren't floodlights, its actually lights specially designed for the night safari which is slightly brighter than moonlight, and dim enough not to disturb the nocturnal behavior of the animals :) .My ISO was at 6400 with shutter at 1/4, along with vibration reduction lens and tripod. Its sure was not easy feat to shoot in this kind of condition.
    • dennisthetiger
      Hi ashley, I do agree with you that it does look like a sumatran due to its mane. This tiger here is a big male, which explains its maned appearance. Its really difficult to tell apart from the malayan and sumatran. The only way you can tell the difference from sight is the size, which is bigger than the sumatrans, and the ruff at the back of the neck of the male sumatran race, which are more profound than the malayans. Anyway, w/o the signboard stating its a malayan tiger, I too would had a hard time guessing the subspecies. :)
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      great photo, the animal is also put in a quite majestic way.

I think from pictures, Malayans are also a bit redder in colour.
    • Zooish
      The lighting for all of Night Safari's exhibits is between 30 lux to 60 lux, with selected 'hotspots' in each exhibit (like a waterhole or feeding point) lit up to 100 lux. Natural full moonlight is about 1 lux - which is too dim for human vision to make out colour. Most of the lights are filtered blue to mimic moonlight. The initial lighting plan for the park was conceived by a British theatre lighting designer.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Night Safari
    Uploaded By:
    dennisthetiger
    Date:
    20 Aug 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    241.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    531px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D90
    Date / Time:
    2009:08:20 23:47:22
    Exposure Time:
    10/50 sec
    Focal Length:
    98 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).