Join our zoo community
Pertinax

Male Bornean Orangutan 'Ramon'.

Male Bornean Orangutan 'Ramon'.
Pertinax, 11 May 2017
Macaulay, Gigit and MagpieGoose like this.
    • MagpieGoose
      Hopefully now he's fully mature hopefully he can get Summer, Cherie and possibly Vicky (Depending on her current breeding potential which seems unlikely) pregnant :)
    • Pertinax
      @MagpieGoose I very much doubt it. He could/should have been breeding from the age of eight or even younger, but he hasn't. I smell a rat and think for some reason he isn't a breeder. The females should have concieved a long time ago if he was.
      MagpieGoose likes this.
    • MagpieGoose
      @Pertinax Shame. It feels like a similar situation to Benjamin at Dudley; prefers human females to Orangutan females and that probably comes down to the fact that they were both hand reared
      Pertinax likes this.
    • Pertinax
      Exactly. Its rarer in Orangs than Gorillas but can still happen. Also Ramon was very small and undersized when he went to Blackpool also and may have been dominated by the others as a result- maybe he still is..... I forgot to ask about this when I was there but suspect they would just say they are 'hoping he will breed'.;) If they want offspring perhaps they should have got the two sisters mated when the group were staying at Chester....
      MagpieGoose likes this.
    • MagpieGoose
      But if Cherie and Summer where mated with a male that male would be Tuan which i'm sure the studbook wouldn't be 100% happy with due to the fact his gene is becoming further more widespread in captivity due to his close relatives Muda and Batu breeding loads and wouldn't surprise me if both were retired soon...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Blackpool Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Pertinax
    Date:
    11 May 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    8.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5152px
    Height:
    3864px
    Aperture:
    f/6.5
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-W810
    Date / Time:
    2017:05:09 11:31:29
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 250
    Focal Length:
    27.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).