Join our zoo community
Goura

Male Proboscis monkey

Male Proboscis monkey
Goura, 25 Apr 2012
JurassicMax and Jonas like this.
    • Blackduiker
      What a profile. Jimmy Durante had nothing on this guy! Great viewing opportunity to see one of the zoo world's rarest gems.
    • Goura
      I believe they are in a new enclosure now - more open with less glass - but i won't be in Singapore again for quite some time. The new River Safari (due to open this year) looks interesting and worth a visit.
    • jusko88
      does any U.S. zoos have this amazing monkey? Love the picture haha:D
      Goura likes this.
    • Mickey
      @jusko88 Bronx tried to start a breeding prom in the USA but no other zoo accepted, they lost a lot of money with their troop and afaik none to very little breeding success
      Goura likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      @Mickey kind of curious as to your sources for "no other zoo accepted [a breeding programme]" and that the zoo "lost a lot of money with their troop".
      nczoofan likes this.
    • Mickey
      @Chlidonias I do not see any other Proboscis Monkey in the western "world", but if you're willing to prove me wrong I'd be more than glad to be
      Goura likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      @Mickey that is not an answer to my question though. This was not an era where zoos had cooperative breeding programmes, other than in rare cases. There were a number of zoos in the USA and Europe obtaining Proboscis Monkeys at this time, and none of them were trying to form a cooperative breeding programme - they were just keeping them for their own purposes, and at least some of them managed to breed them. So, to ask my question again, what are your sources for "no other zoo accepted [a breeding programme]" and that the zoo "lost a lot of money with their troop"? Your previous response of there being no Proboscis Monkeys in western zoos now answers neither of your claims that the Bronx tried to get other zoos involved in a cooperative breeding programme nor that the zoo "lost a lot of money" by keeping the monkeys.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Goura
    Date:
    25 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    236 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    960px
    Height:
    1280px
    Aperture:
    f/4.3
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-410
    Date / Time:
    2010:01:19 03:53:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).