Join our zoo community
Breckenridge

Mammal Diversity (1/5)

From top to bottom: Nubian ibex?, Greater kudu, African civet, small cat/fossa?, Ringtail, Marmoset species?, Unknown small mammal, Ring-tailed lemur (behind pole), Gorilla, European hare?, Pacarana. If anyone can further identify species, I would appreciate it. July 2017.

Mammal Diversity (1/5)
    • PossumRoach
      By cavy do you mean the pacarana
    • Breckenridge
      @PossumRoach Yes, thank you. I wasn't sure what it was and thought it looked similar to a paca so I listed it as a cavy.
    • German Zoo World
      i think the ibex could be a walia ibex.
    • nczoofan
      According to the musuems database the only mounted ibex skin is an Iberian ibex. Yet the location it was collected from is listed as Masai, Tanzania. Which wouldn't make too much sense. So likely the record is flawed. Potentially this collection happened so long ago that the understanding of the species or name has changed.

I know almost all specimens in this hall were not previously mounted, so this skin very well may have been in the collection storage for years.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History
    Uploaded By:
    Breckenridge
    Date:
    27 Oct 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    118.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    810px
    Height:
    1080px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).