Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

Mangrove killifish

Aquarium, London Zoo, 28th April 2018

Mangrove killifish
gentle lemur, 15 Jun 2019
    • gentle lemur
      Two images of one of the very small specimens on show.
      I have transcribed the zoo's label, which offended me (although of course even retired teachers are easily offended by bad English). As you read it, mentally erase the errors, which I have coloured magenta, and add my corrections in green :)

Mangrove Killifish
      Kryptolebias marmoratus
      These killifish live in submerged mangrove forests and can also live in muddy crab burrows. They can tolerate living in water twice as salty as the sea and as hot as 38°C and they can also survive up to 2 months out of water by breathing air through their skins. They are the only vertebrates which can be male orand female at the same time.
      Distribution: Eeast coast of cCentral and sSouth America
      Classified as NOT YET THREATENED
    • sooty mangabey
      @gentle lemur So much to enjoy in this sign! I especially appreciate the “male or female” - not in itself such a remarkable claim! But what is your objection to the absence of that second ‘they’? Is it really required, or does the first “they” do its job?
    • gentle lemur
      @sooty mangabey I think that second they helps to avoid confusion, but I agree that it is not strictly necessary.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    15 Jun 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    281.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1414px
    Height:
    1000px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D500
    Date / Time:
    2019:04:28 16:06:17
    Exposure Time:
    1/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    40 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).