Join our zoo community
Moebelle

Mar. 2015 - The Field Museum - Sue and Me

Sue is the world's most complete discovered skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Mar. 2015 - The Field Museum - Sue and Me
Moebelle, 16 Mar 2015
    • Moebelle
      Sue is the world\'s most complete discovered skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
    • TeaLovingDave
      And the largest, by quite some margin.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      Also, - if my memory serves me correctly - heavily litigated over in court by those unscrupulous money hungry land owners who thought to cash in on a Blackhills site containing good fossil deposits was better than serving any public interest in this magnificent and wondrous specimen of a Tyrannosaurus rex.

This was all so highly emotionally strung that it was even worth the trouble to get made into a docu-drama film. Just digit in the Black Hills Institute and you will find what ye seek.

Even so @Moebelle, thanks for sharing!
    • zooboyabroad
      I heard scientists recently discovered that Sue was actually a male. And her real skull is actually on the upstairs balcony. It was too heavy to be mounted to the rest of the skeleton so they made a realistic replica.
    • Chlidonias
      no, it was recently determined that Sue really was (almost certainly) a female. Some media got it quite wrong because they didn't read beyond the title of an article called “Was Dinosaur “Sue” A Boy?”

The skull is a lot heavier than the cast, but the real reason the skull is separate is that it would be too difficult to study (by palaeontologists) if it was that far up in the air. So it is in an accessible display case instead.
    • zooboyabroad
      Interesting. Where'd you find that?
    • Chlidonias
      The first part was from searching through many different websites trying to uncover the truth (I was curious about your suggestion). It is not definite that Sue was female but it is most likely.

The second bit (about the skull) was initially from Wikipedia which has a good page on Sue.
    • TeaLovingDave
      The other major reason the skull is not mounted is that it was - relatively speaking - in poor condition, having been crushed and distorted; as such the mounted skull is a reconstruction of what the skull likely looked like prior to the damage.

This is an image of the original skull:

[​IMG]
    • gentle lemur
      I have the book 'Tyrannosaurus Sue' by Steve Fiffer, which has rather too much of the legal stuff and too little Tyrannosaurus for my taste.

Alan
    • Chlidonias
      I bet Tyrannosaurus tasted great.... :cool:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Field Museum of Natural History
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    16 Mar 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: