Join our zoo community
zootiger

Margay

Margay
zootiger, 8 Aug 2014
    • zootiger
    • TeaLovingDave
      A great shot this :) as with almost all other margays within Europe, this is a Yucatan Margay (Leopardus wiedii yucatanicus)
    • zootiger
      Thanks! They are hard to see at PL, I've only ever seen this individual there (by the ocelot enclosure). There are more to the left hand side of this one's enclosure (as you come from the pallas cats) and I believe a kitten. They have a large no. of margays off-show, most Yucatan but I believe a few not.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Nope - all animals within Europe are Yucatan barring two females at Tierpark Berlin, which are Central American (Leopardus wiedii nicaraguae). The latter taxon looks dramatically different - I rather hope they bring some males in and get them breeding.
    • zootiger
      Ah I thought the small carnivore keeper said they had some margays with no subspecies status.
    • Pleistohorse
      Very nice picture.
    • TeaLovingDave
      There are untested animals knocking about here and there, but I believe that all the imports in recent decades came from the range of the Yucatan ssp in any case so this is merely a technicality.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Port Lympne Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    zootiger
    Date:
    8 Aug 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    402.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    950px
    Height:
    633px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).